The ABNLP recently asked me to do a webinar on Writing Your Book Using NLP. As an author of eight books and presently writing my ninth book on ‘Age is an Attitude’, I thought I would share the plans that I use now that I created from experience.
WHY Write a Book? I believe that we all have so many experiences along the way and gather so much incredible wisdom. Writing a book allows us to share that wisdom and experience, whilst we educate and offer insights to so many more people.
Why Write a Book Using NLP Skills? When we address the way people represent the world and their Learning Styles, we get so much more understanding of the written material.
What is the Process I Take When Writing a Book?
- The first thing I do is think of the subject that I want to write about. You do NOT have to have a title yet. Both the Graphic Designer and Publisher can help you with Titles that Sell.
- The second thing I do is give myself a time for completion. What helps me is to ask my publisher when she requires the book so she can publish it globally and I can be at the book awards at the end of the year. That may sound egotistical to some, and it is the driving force behind me completing the book and at a standard that gains a Best Seller Status.
- Then I write up a rough copy of the Contents Page. I often use the Learning Styles of People to Design this. Eg Why this subject, What is the research to date, How can I demonstrate how you may achieve this, and What If I could offer Testimonials, Guarantees, or other options for you to consider? Sometimes I put three chapters under each of these headings like I did in my “Life After Lupus…Healing Your Immune System” book.
- Then I notify my editor/editors, graphic designer, printer, publisher of my plan. Now we have a team to assist the smooth running of the process. This is great because now you are accountable and responsible for feeding work to these people on certain dates which keeps you motivated. They are brilliant is inspiring you to continue or change something or both. You do NOT have to write the book on your own.
- Then I begin to research the areas of the book to give more up to date information.
- This may lead to outsourcing a couple of other professionals that can add to your ‘What’ section with their expertise. I have done this in my last two books. You may also find other people that can offer a testimonial at the back of your book. The ‘What if’ Learners love this as it verifies that others have achieved similar results. These ‘other’ experts also are given a timeline that you must stick to.
- Keep my eye on the goal/outcome. Every month I ask myself ‘What is Working’, and What is Not Working’. I then re-tweek the action to keep things going on schedule.
|NOW||month 1||month 2||month 3||month 4||OUTCOME|
I hope this information has assisted you to get started. We can’t wait to hear your story. If you would like contacts for Publishers, Graphic Designers, Printers, Editors then I am happy to share what I have gathered over the years. Email me email@example.com