Only You Do Stress…. Nobody can do it for you.
How the Mind and Body Work Together
We are more stressed than any other time in history and yet we have more knowledge on stress than any other time in history…interesting!!! Stress is the only common denominator behind the 5 main reasons why we die:
- Heart Attacks
- Road Accidents
- Blood Pressure
What stress really is, is a physiology response called FIGHT or FLIGHT. When we are stressed blood moves away from the internal organs and into arms and legs in readiness for us to run away. We even stop digesting which causes:
- Irritable Bowel
- Immune System Disorders
- Sexual Malfunction
We pump in the adrenalin and the cortisol which is designed to override everything. We suppress every function by going into the stress response. Eg. When we are chased by a tiger, all our blood flows to areas for us to run away and depletes from everything else.
What you stress about tends to be projected into the future. We imagine a huge picture of stress but we only really have only 5% of that picture. We can create a false reality anytime we want with our intellectual factor called imagination.
So how do we manage us? How do we plan for Xmas 2012 and the year of 2013? How do we budget for 2013 and beyond?
A “feeling” is ultimately what we do everything for. There are two driving forces in our life PAIN and PLEASURE. PAIN is avoidance focus while PLEASURE is success focus.
Comfortable means HOMEOSTASIS
Eg. $5,000 in the bank and the bills come in so we PANIC. From panic we take action and come back to the $5,000 by saving. We then bring in more money and we spend it.
If you only reference your world through PAIN and AVOIDANCE then we create DISCOMFORT as our MOTIVATOR eg. “I work better under stress” That means we have to have a problem in our life before we get motivated.
When we want to do a project for Xmas 2014 and beyond: The starting is the most difficult part. By planning we do 1hour per day and make it happen by setting and achieving daily, weekly, monthly goals. By not planning we wait until we have a time line then we stress ourselves.
Our language around PAIN is; I must, I will try
Our language around PLEASURE is; Everything is possible, I will, I can. How can I make that happen and happen successfully for all?
Dr Dzung Price wrote an article on Why Stress is a Major Health Issue. Along with toxins, stress is now widely recognised as a major contributor to disease and illness. There is a growing body of evidence relating stress to the boom of autoimmune disease, especially in children. It also relates to aging faster.
Your Emotions and Stress
Believe it or not December is the highest risk time for fatal heart attacks. So I thought I would offer you some advice on:
- What are the highest risk areas to avoid
- What are the best steps to take
- What is the best nutrition for avoiding heart attacks.
What are the highest risk areas to avoid???
Believe it or not there are many risks for heart disease that you may not have thought of incl:
- suppressed emotions like anger (linked to heart disease)
- holiday diets like excessive salt, fatty foods and alcohol (Coq10 could be your best friend, especially on holidays)
“Are unresolved emotions affecting your health?” that “emotions drive our behaviour and motivate our success”. Research shows how each emotion has a particular effect on the body that is designed to change human behaviour. Fear and anger take blood away from the brain and sends it to the legs and arms so you can run away. This puts a strain on the heart. Sadness secretes a hormone that makes you want to be passive and thus when triggered constantly can lead to depression and immune disorders.
Holiday eating/drinking habits can create heart concerns
When we are on holidays we tend to be a little more relaxed about what we eat and drink. It may be worth taking Coenzyme Q10 on your next holiday as new research shows it’s one of the nutrients we need the most. It is used to maintain heart health, promote healthy cholesterol levels, boost cellular energy and fight free-radical production.
- The first step to Changing this STRESS Scenario is to recognise that stress does negatively impact on the health of your body. Short term stress is recoverable, however prolonged or severe stress develops many responses in that ultimately diminish the capacity to recover and restore proper function.
- At least 45 minutes of moderate exercise daily
- A great nights sleep of 7 to 9 hours per night
- Good quality protein with every meal plus wholegrains, lentils, Fruits and Veg and Herbal Teas to actually calm the body and the brain.
- 8 to 10 glasses of filtered or pure water every day
- Avoid the junk food and stimulants, sugary foods, caffeine, chocolate, alcohol
- Take great nutritionals such as fish oils, vitamins and minerals to strengthen nerves.
AND REMEMBER…. ONLY YOU DO STRESS…no-one can do it for you. YOU ARE IN CHARGE OF YOU. Discover the triggers of your stress. Ask yourself; What do I want instead? How do I get it, what do I need to do and/or learn in order to achieve it. If you tackle your problems this way you won’t do stress.
So, this summer it may be wise to create a SEVEN STEP De Stressing Planning Process so you can hit 2011 with a full tank of energy and enthusiasm.
- The first step is to identify what jobs, people, events do you perceive as stressful. You then need to put them in order of priority from the most stressful to the least.
- Now you need to identify stress management techniques that work well for you. It may be great if you include the foods, nutritional supplements, herbal teas and water that are natural calmers for the body and mind.
- Based on your Sources of Stress and your Stress Management techniques write down what you are going to do to manage each of the stressors in your life.
- Resolve to accept the things that are beyond your control…..let it go.
- Finalise things that you are to complete so they can be taken off your list
- Set your GOALS for 2011 including Physical, Mental, Emotional, Financial and Spiritual and write it down including what the actions are for you to achieve it.
- Every month ask yourself “What is Working” and “What is NOT Working”, then change, add or delete or outsource what is NOT working. Re-set your goal every month. This keeps you positive and on purpose and stress free.
“We Cannot Solve our Current Problems with the Same Thinking” Einstein