Recently on the Living Consciously TV Show we have had two guests that have spoken about Living Longer and Living Well. Dr Mario Martinez was the first guest and he was stating that it has been proven by scientific research that only 20% of us is genetically inherited and up to 80% of our health and wellness is from the environment we associate ourselves in during our life.
When I was studying psychology we were taught that this was more like 50/50. So this latest research is profound for many reasons.
- We can no longer blame our parents for our health and wellness problems because of ‘what we inherited’. While they do give us a genetic code, we can change that imprint anytime we want.
- Our diet, the people we associate ourselves with, the air, water, stress and thought processes ALL affect our aging process.
- That means We Are Responsible for our Aging Process ….. Oh NO!!! It also means we can live healthy for as long as we like as long as we make the choice and the changes to do that. Yeah!!!
Dr Mario Martinez says “More than a theory and practice, ‘biocognition’ is a way of life that shifts operative consciousness, rather than modify behaviour”.
So our mindset is absolutely the key to our health and aging process. Dr Martinez only studies people who are over 100 years of age who are well. There is so much to learn from his work.
The next guest on our show was Dr Aimon Kopera. Dr Kopera talked about the same scientific research and how finding out your genetic code could be invaluable. She calls her work ‘Epigenetics’. She talked about some of the key areas that we can change to have great health and longevity. Some of those are no surprises and include:
- Exercise in a variety of ways
- Discover your purpose in life, have a reason to get out of bed each day.
- Take a break, have a nap every day, meditate, and find ways to de-stress.
- Eat smaller amounts of food with heaps of vegetables and fish regularly. Eat less meat.
- Friends and Social activities are very important
- What are your thoughts and Belief Patterns? Are they aligned to positivity?
- Family matters. Enjoy them, socialise with them and walk with them.
These are some of the nine principles that Dr Kopera talks about in her new book coming out soon on modifiable elements of human life. She believes that nutrition, physical activity and obesity are “winnable battles.” Research by Blue Zones Scientist Group and other organizations indicates they have a direct correlation to living a long and healthy life. According to the Institute for Aging Research longevity is 80% environment and 20% genetics (Langreth).
I will be meeting Dr Kopera at the EIPPY Book Awards in the USA this month and can’t wait to bring you more of what she is offering. My next book on ‘Age Is An Attitude’ will definitely highlight some of these scientific studies so we get the latest research and information.